Monday, June 16, 2008

Using Inner Glow to Create Highlights

Like Drop Shadows, the Photoshop Inner Glow style is great for adding complexity to your textures with very little effort. The two places I use Inner Glow the most are when I want to suggest highlights on both solid and fabric surfaces. When working with very few polygons, you don't have the luxury of adding a lot of complexity to the edges of your models. Simple 3D models can have a tell-tale hardness at the edges, and anything you can do in your texture to soften that edge will only make your models look better.

In this example I have taken a simple aged brass texture and added a Vivid Light glow around all four edges. When applied to a simple shape, like a cube, you gain a highlight effect that suggests that the edges of your model are picking up the light differently than the rest of the surface.

In the Layers Styles window I select Inner Glow and play with the settings until I get something I like. For metal highlights I usually choose Vivid Light, but I have to be careful because it can get give your edges an over saturated, burned out appearance.

In the below example, I have used Inner Glow to create the highlighted edge of the sides of this leather lounge chair. As you can see, a little goes a long way to suggesting more complexity then is actually there.

7 comments:

Astarte said...

Ahh..that is how it works! Thank you! I never really understood how it affected textures and their application. This opens up another tool at least. Even if not used often.

Bou said...

Translation for Gimp & PSP for all these new techniques would make orsumnesh poifeckshun imo :D

Don Carson Creative said...

Bou,

That would be great. I am not familiar with using either Gimp or PSP so anyone else who can help me translate it would be much appreciated! ~Don

Bou said...

I posted linkage to a PS<->PSP translation dictionary I found today in the other thread & I'll ask around for a Gimp one....I did hear there was one out there, but I haven't seen it....the only Gimp linkage I have is for Grokking the Gimp http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html?node11.html

I found it a bit hard going, but I can be a bit of a stick in the mud about some things & Gimp was just too different to PSP & PS & we didn't get along very well LOL

I've kept it installed on my PC so my lil one can learn it as I believe the more programs you can comfortably use the better off you are :)

Don Carson Creative said...

That's great! I couldn't agree more. There is no reason not to play with lots of applications and only use them for what you need. Too many artistic friends of mine shy away from trying new applications because "they don't have time". I say, learn only what you have to, to get the effect you want, and move on!

Bou said...

W00t!! I gotted sumpfink right :D :D :D

But seriously, I do have lots of funky lil apps that help me out like sqwirls & genetica woodshop etc & I find they help me to compensate for my lack of artistic background a LOT!

Um shouldn't you be at the launch party tho'???? LOL

River said...

I love it! can I have one lol.
Love your work.
Folahn aka River every wher but IMVU